Sylvan Beach to Brewerton Page 8
The alarm went off at 5:15. The skies were dark and cloudy, and the
weather report predicted winds 15-25 knots. We decided to head out as
soon as possible to cross Oneida Lake before the winds picked up. We left
Sylvan Beach at 6:25. There was a 2 foot chop coming from the southwest.
it took us 2 hours to cross to Brewerton. The trawler we met yesterday also
left and followed behind us. We docked at Winter Harbor Marina to fuel up
and pump out. We decided to stay here for the night rather than head north
30 miles to Oswego because of predicted winds. Sirius weather forecast had
a HUGE storm crossing Lake Ontario...map had yellows and reds...and the
storm covered the entire lake. It wasn't a good idea to head in that
direction today. Jim went with the captain of the trawler to West Marine.
They have a courtesy car here, so we may use it to get to a grocery store
to stock up on supplies. It's somewhat tricky getting Lily off the boat here.
The swim deck is 3 ft. below the dock, the pilot house entry is 2 feet high
and we'd need to use the doggie ramp over our lines, but the side deck is
even with the dock. After a few tries, Lily had it all figured out!
Several thunderstorms passed overhead with heavy rain, so it was good that we tied up here. We met
a couple who own a Kadey-Krogan. He helped Jim change his RACORS, since the gauge was beginning to
run high. Jim used the courtesy car from the marina to get groceries and came back with 12 bags and
2 cases of water. A passing boat left a huge wake, and my spaghetti plate slid into the side of the
cabinet in the pilot house. As I picked it up, the bottom cracked and there was food and tomato sauce
all over the rug, plus bits of glass. What a mess! After scrubbing and vacuuming, we ate pancakes for
dinner and tried to relax for a while. We need to check the weather report on the 11:00 news to see
what tomorrow brings. Hopefully we can head for Oswego.
July 9 - Second Day at Brewerton
Around 5:00 AM we awoke to loud booms of thunder and pounding rain. We had no electricity. There
was a fierce wind blowing. We decided to stay put. However, the sun came out, winds calmed down,
then we thought about leaving. However, we checked NOAA, and there was a 70% chance of strong
thunderstorms in the afternoon. By this time, the 5 1/2 hour trip to Oswego would put us in that zone
of bad weather. So....we thought staying at Breweton an extra day would be best. One of the boaters
here said, "It's better to wish you were where you want to go, than to be where you want to go and
wish you were where you had been." Makes sense! We have air, internet, and a courtesy car if we
|Lily resting with her
|The dock at Winter
Turns out we didn't have a thunderstorm until 6:00. We could have easily made it to Oswego. You
right!! The storm that came up was so fierce, I didn't have time to grab my camera to snap a
picture. There was no real thunder, but the rain pelted down like hail, the water turned dark, and
there were white caps in the canal. Poor Lily couldn't find a place to hide. She has been ok with
thunder, but our shades were up, and because of the large windows, felt like you were actually right
outside. Lily finally settled down on the bed to "hide" from the noise. She loves to look out the glass
pilot house doors, but for the storm, it was too much violent action for anyone!
Hot dogs and veggies for dinner. Jim is cooking, I'm cleaning up. Tomorrow is supposed to be really hot
with less wind, and storms in the afternoon. We'll see on that! We plan to head north to Oswego and
wait for a good day to cross. There's a cold front moving in which will make the next few days cool
and breezy; not a good day to cross. We were told to wait for the lake report to say waves 2 feet
or less for a smooth crossing. We are hoping!